client/server design and advice

TonyM fossilx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 12:39:49 EST 2006

> Don't use sqlite, use a "real" RDBMS.  sqlite is cool, but not really suited
> for large amounts of data, and the concurrent access aspects that are dealt
> with with an RDBMS for free are not to be underestimated.

Would PostgreSQL be suitable in this situation?  I hadn't even thought
about the possible problems that could arise with concurrency but i do
recall it being an issue the last time i worked with sqlite.  I have
also looked into mysql given my extensive experience with it...however
postgresql seems to be faster from what ive read.  Either way i'll work
on writing something to convert and insert the data so that it can
process while im working on the gui and client/server apps.

> Pyro rocks for that.

Awesome, ill look into it in greater detail and will most likely use
it.  Given what ive seen so far it looks like it will make the
client/server interface fairly easy to write.

Now...if only i could master python gui programming and development ;)
I'm not entirely sure which gui lib im going to end up using, but as of
now im leaning more towards tkinter as i know it will work where i need
and it seems to be one of the more documented.  Ive looked at used
wxpython a little but had trouble figure out a few minor things while
playing around with it initially.  I've also thought about pygtk
although I haven't taken the time to play with it quite yet as i
assumed it was primarily for linux (id be running the majority of these
on windows pcs).

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Tony