SOAP Server with WSDL?

Chris Lambacher chris at kateandchris.net
Thu Dec 7 17:40:45 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 01:52:59PM -0800, tobiah wrote:

> > You want ZSI.  If you already have a wsdl you then use wsdl2py and
> > wsdl2dispatch to create your server classes.  The server classes get used
> > with ZSI.ServiceContainer.  Unfortunately there is not much documentation
> > about this.
>
> Actually, do I have to make a WSDL?  Do people hand write these, or
> are there tools?  I don't really need to publish an interface.  I just
> want some in house apps to communicate.
If you can help it you don't write WSDL by hand.  You don't even have to make a
WSDL, but it is convenient for describing interface and you can use things
like wsdl2py, wsdl2java, etc. to create the majority of the boiler plate parts
of the client/server code for you.

> I can't figure out if I want SOAP, or CORBA, or would it just be
Unless you are talking to an existing CORBA interface, don't go there.
> easier if I just starting opening sockets and firing data around
> directly.  Ideally, I'd like to share complex objects.  That's why
> I thought that I needed one of the above standards.
>
> I'm confused by it all.  Am I even looking in the right direction?
Define complex objects.  Is all your code in Python?  Will it stay that way?
Are the running client and server versions always going to be in sync?

Depending on how complex, 'complex objects' are, You might be better off with
a XML-RPC, it is far less complicated, but since I don't really know what
problem you are trying to solve it is a little hard to make a definitive
recommendation.

Protocol definition is a tricky thing to get right without a lot of
experience.  Picking an existing standard my help with your own sanity.
Note that to some extent you can pick and choose standards.  For instance you
can use http as your transport using the URL as a method of defining where the
data goes.  The data can be encoded in any one of a number of formats
including XML, JSON and pickle.  If you happen to choose http and XML, you get
what is known as REST.  Who/what you need to talk to and how complicated your
data is will dictate what subset of these you can use.  Pick something that
will be easy to handle on both ends of the connection, i.e. if one end has to
be in C, make sure there is a library for it and take pickle out of your list
of options.