merits of Lisp vs Python

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 12:00:02 EST 2006

Alex Mizrahi wrote:
> (message (Hello 'Ken)
> (you :wrote  :on '(Sat, 09 Dec 2006 04:26:02 -0500))
> (
>
>  KT> keep the Pythonistas from straying. But you have an excuse: Lispniks
>  KT> always /talk/ about macros giving us the ability to create a DSL. But
>  KT> no one does. :)
>
> certainly there's no reason to make a new DSL each day, but sometimes they
> are good.
> i've recently posted an example of DSL to do queries to RDF data base -- i
> find it's very helpful.

That is different. Your very objective /was/ a language. Naturally, you
created one. I am talking about PGs suggestion that the best way to
solve a problem is to create a language for that problem and then use
it. What I think happens more often is the other thing Graham said:
building up CL to be a better language for the problem. So the language
is still predominantly and visibly CL, and here and there are chunks of
macrology hiding a crapload of boilerplate.

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd