Is anyone using Python for embedded applications?

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Wed Dec 13 14:24:58 EST 2006

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:

> It depends a *lot* on what is meant by "embedded" :

Ha, very true....

> This definition seems to cover everything from:
>     - a cut down PC in a non standard box, through
>     - a processor in a Washing Machine, to
>     - a bare PIC processor in a Burglar Alarm...

We are considering now are mobile phone and pocket pc-esque devices.  I
know that several phones with arm processors are running an arm version
of linux now, we're thinking how reasonable it might be to run python
applications on a phone, and which python might best apply.  Is there a
good way to determine the "minimum requirements" for a python
application?  I'd imagine these might be something like the min
requirements of python (cpython, pymite, etc) + additional requirements
placed by the design of the application.  Is there a good way to study a
python application and figure that type of thing out?

> I think the main hassles are that you need something big enough
> to run a reasonable OS in, and it must support being programmed in C,
> (which most things do), and it must have some MegaBytes of RAM
> loose for the Python. (where more is merrier)
>
> Trying to run this on say an AVR or 8031 with a 64k address space and
> a scarcity of RAM, will, to say the least, be a bit of a challenge...
>
> As far as the OS goes, Linux is probably the best bet, if you can get it to
> fit in your hardware - It has been ported to ARM type processors from
> various companies (Atmel springs to mind), and is free, which is a help
> in a personal project.  You could of course also roll your own kernel,
> which will be good practice, as with a limited set of peripherals its not
> THAT hard to do, but its a bit far away from Python -   :- )

Yea, we are thinking on the more robust end of the embedded side.  So a
system capable of running Linux or Windows CE (or something similar)

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Build and Release