merits of Lisp vs Python

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 23:45:12 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 22:06:29 -0500, Ken Tilton wrote:
>

>>As I type each right parens I eyeball
>>its partner as the editor highlights it to make sure I have not missed
>>anything,
>

> Er, weren't you one of the people claiming that you don't notice parens
> when you're reading or writing Lisp code?

Steve, you seem to be doing everything you can to make what is basically
a decent cultural exchange unpleasant, mostly by bellowing like some mad
rogue elephant over and over again about macros, now by trying to play
gotcha.

I said they disappear. They do. I do not see parens when I look at code.
The "watching of the matching" is only after furious thrashing during
refactoring, and even then it is unconscious most of the time because we
are usually also indenting as we go.

I presume you look to see if your indentation is correct while you are
indenting, with no more effort than I eyeball the highlighted parens.

You think that some gotcha is somehow going to miraculously reveal that
I do in fact have trouble with parentheses? Now /that/ would be dumb of you.

>> So, if you're still seeing parentheses, does that mean you've been coding
> Lisp for less than a month?

I see you figured it our for yourself. Obviously I love parentheses and
would hate to program without them, so obviously your gotcha falls short.

I myself am simply delighted. I decided I should indeed check out if I
was up against the c.l.p village idiot. Nope, turns out you are the
Master of FUD:

"According to Steven D'Aprano, operations manager of longstanding open
source services firm Cybersource, Microsoft's new game of attempting to
strike fear into the heart of Linux users by invoking the spectre of
patent infringements may soon take an ominous new twist. Mr D'Aprano
believes that Microsoft may well use similar tactics employed by its
proxy the BSA six years ago when it raided the offices of guitar string
maker Ernie Ball with armed marshalls and found a few machines with
non-compliant software."

I love it, you turning FUD on the FUDster, MS. Good for you! A whole
article with nothing but your unsubstantiated guesses as to Microsoft
suing someone! I do not who impresses me more, you giving such an
interview or the reporter who printed it... no, you guys are allowed to
screw up, the editor should be shot.

Hey, Steve, save that crap for Microsoft, will you?

peace. ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd