merits of Lisp vs Python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Dec 10 13:08:04 EST 2006

JShrager at gmail.com skrev:

> The reason has little to do with macros (although
> they were very helpful, of course, esp. in making Tcl look like a
> reasonable language so that we could use Tk)

How long ago was this? ;-)

[Macros in Python]

> Either people will not use them, and they will languish and die, and then
> at least you can say; "Been there, done that" to the Lisp community.

Well, someone did write Logix probably with the intention of getting
interest from the community:

http://livelogix.net/logix/

It's already been noted what the response has been.

> Or, more likely, the some subset of the Python community will get it,
> and will figure out how useful they are, although it might take some time.

I've been interested in macros for Python, and you'll find other people
with similar views:

http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/doc/EE.html

That said, you'll find the discussion about macros to be quite open,
occasionally even on the Python development lists. But it is also
important to note that the development and usage of Python is not
guided from purely technical motivations (or from technically pure
motivations), and the heated discussion about natural language
analogies reveals that just as people are content to form communities
around certain kinds of literature, so are people interested in forming
communities around developing certain kinds of systems.

[...]

> you will probably be able to maintain and improve your flagging
> position wrt Ruby (which, according to Matz, is more-or-less just Lisp
> w/o macros.)

I think this would be a fairly weak argument for what would otherwise
be a reasonable suggestion. "Come over to my way of thinking or be
destroyed" sounds like something the Emperor would say to Luke
Skywalker. And we all know how that ended. ;-)

And on the subject of remarks about Python developers somehow being
remote controlled by the BDFL, I think that anyone who takes a closer
look will see varying levels of dissent and dissatisfaction, just as
you'd find in any community. Again, many more issues must be considered
to understand why people keep using Python (or alternatively stop using
it).

Paul