Large files uploading

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Dec 15 11:46:01 EST 2006

Lad wrote:

> HTTP protocol provides FORMs for uploading  which is elegant and good
> solution for small files but using HTTP protocol for large files  is
> not good ( server's timeouts,   big memory consumption on server's
> side, etc.).

only if the server's buffering data in memory, of course. that's not
necessary; there's nothing in the HTTP protocol that prevents you from
storing incoming data to disk.

> So,I was thinking about FTP protocol, but there may be better solutions
> too.
> (FTP server would be running on server)
> I am sure, it can be done this or that way in Python too. (YouTube.com
> is a good example)

I still don't get what Python has to do with it -- your users won't
be using Python, so you need to figure out what uploading tool to use
before you do anything else.

> Do you have any idea how to do that?

this message may provide some ideas:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.django.user/19089