Why does Python never add itself to the Windows path?

vbgunz vbgunz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 00:34:22 EST 2006

Ben Sizer wrote:
> I've installed several different versions of Python across several
> different versions of MS Windows, and not a single time was the Python
> directory or the Scripts subdirectory added to the PATH environment
> variable.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Add a single page to the
installer and on it, have 3 radio buttons. The choices could be "add to
path (recommended)", "add to path with version", "do not add to path
(not recommended)". On a brand new installation or if the user is
upgrading, "add to path (recommended)" should automatically be
selected. If the user is downgrading, "add to path with version" could
be the default selection? If a user truly does not want the Python
installation to touch the path, they'll know to select "do not add to
path (not recommended)" and it's the end of the story, everyone is
happy... It doesn't even have to be like this *but* why not help add
the install to the path?

I haven't used Windows in quite a while but I've done several
installations across some of the family boxes and some inside some
virtual machines and every time I tried launching python through a
console I temporarily got stunned with an error. I just forget and wish
the install could at least remind me. No problem, I know how to add the
path so no biggie at all. Some if not most python documentation assumes
Python is on the path... Anyhow, I don't get why it doesn't apply by
default in some way on Windows even if at the least it could be a
simple reminder or tip to do so.