Why does Python never add itself to the Windows path?

benc_nospam at hotmail.com benc_nospam at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 26 16:22:50 EST 2006

Ross Ridge wrote:
> Ben Sizer wrote:
> > I've installed several different versions of Python across several
> > different versions of MS Windows, and not a single time was the Python
> > directory or the Scripts subdirectory added to the PATH environment
> > variable.
>
> Personally, I hate Windows applications that add themselves to the
> PATH.  So much crap gets put in there that I don't even use the default
> system PATH and just set my own explicitly.

Agreed.  A good Windows application minimizes its footprint, only
adding registry keys, environment variables, system tray icons,
services, shell extensions, etc, etc, when absolutely necessary.
Python is such an application.

But on the other hand, I use Python on the Windows command line all the
time.  Having to manually set PATH for each machine I use Python on is
a minor annoyance.

One solution would be an optional feature on the MSI to prepend the
install directory to PATH.  In fact, this is what ActivePython does.
Any reason why the official Python distribution shouldn't?

--Ben Cartwright