Any relational database design tool written in Python

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Aug 31 11:11:02 EDT 2006

>     metaperl> I am hoping for something that can create database deltas.
>
> What is a database delta?  I know about SELECT, CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE,
> joins, normalization, etc, but have never heard this term before.

There are two types of database deltas that I know of:  metadata
deltas (changes to the structure of the database such as altering
columns in tables, adding/removing tables, altering views/SPs,
changing access-controls, etc) and data deltas (differences in
data when the structures are the same).

A metadata some sort of "diff" between two copies of a database
(say, your "production" and "development" databases), allowing
you to bring your production database up to the point where your
development database is.  A data-diff would be about the same as
an incremental backup, allowing you copy new data from one
database to another database with stale/older data on it.

I've written a couple simple database diffing scripts to synch
production database to look like the development database
snapshot.  None were complete scripts to synch everything, but
just handled what I needed at the time (usually just altered or
added tables/queries).

-tkc