Pros/Cons of Turbogears/Rails?

Jorge Godoy jgodoy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:42:47 EDT 2006

"Jaroslaw Zabiello" <hipertracker at gmail.com> writes:

> kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>> + SqlObject allows working with the DB tables without
>> using SQL itself.
>
> Rails has ActiveRecord ORM, which IMO has nicer and simpler
> syntax than SQLObject. Rails has migrations, TB - not (Migrations is
> versioning system for evolving database schema)

TG supports SQL Alchemy as well.  With SQL Alchemy I believe you'll have a
better experience than with Rails' ORM.

With regards to Migrations, SQL Object does support something like that, but
you have to explicitly code it and then you can run sqlobject-admin upgrade
(or the equivalente tg-admin sql upgrade, since it is a wrapper...).

> But rhtml is much more flexible because it can generate *any content*,
> not only xml. But Rails has THREE template systems: rhtml (main), rxml
> (for rss and xml generation) and rjs (for javascript and AJAX).

Well, TG has a few templating systems...  MarkUp, Kid, Cheetah, ZPT, and
others.  You can choose the one that best fits your needs / brain.  You can
even have multiple template systems used depending on what was requested for
the same controller...

Which one is better isn't of my concern.  I've already tested then and decided
what I want to use.  The best thing is try them and see what works.  You don't
have to choose only one -- but you have to use one per project to make it less
messy ;-)

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy at gmail.com>