couple more questions about sqlite

Sat Aug 19 02:12:06 EDT 2006

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> 	SQLite, in whatever incarnation, is a "file server" database. There
> is no separate database server running -- each application is linked
> directly to the code that opens and processes the database file(s).
>
> 	If SQLite is supplied with the impending Python 2.5, then the
> code/library to access the database file is included. If one is running
> Python 2.4, then one needs to obtain the third-party pysqlite package --
> which, as I recall, includes the runtime library that does the database
> file work.
>
> 	The only reason, then, to download the stand-alone SQLite package
> (not the python package) would be to obtain the command line query/admin
> tool.

Thanks, that was a great response that pretty much covered everything I
was wondering. I would need pysqlite right now (2.4), or sqlite3 (2.5),
and I don't necessarily need the command line program if I'm using
Python as an interface.

What is really confusing is that I did a search for 'sqlite' in my
Ubuntu repositories and it came up with entries like this:

python2.4-pysqlite1.1   python interface to SQLite 3
python2.4-pysqlite2     python interface to SQLite 3
python2.4-pysqlite      python interface to SQLite 2
python-pysqlite1.1      python interface to SQLite 3
python-pysqlite2        python interface to SQLite 3
python-sqlite           python interface to SQlite 2

Needless to say, the numbering had me banging my head against my desk.