What do you want in a new web framework?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Aug 30 03:39:06 EDT 2006

"BJörn Lindqvist" <bjourne at gmail.com> writes:

> In fact, it almost seems like[...] There exist better third party
> modules and packages of most functionality in the standard
> library. The only examples I can think of that seem to have a
> "monopoly" is subprocess, decimal, thread and pickle. Are there any
> more? Maybe when ElementTree joins the stdlib it will also have a
> monopoly on DOM parsers.

I'm not sure what criteria should be used for "monopoly" in that
context.

For me, standard library modules that do their one thing well enough
that I don't consider looking elsewhere:

    re
    struct
    unicodedata
    decimal
    random
    logging
    Queue
    urlparse
    email

A shorter list than I expected, now that I come to make it.

--
 \     "Time is the great legalizer, even in the field of morals."  -- |
  `\                                                  Henry L. Mencken |