Windows vs. Linux

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Aug 4 05:13:53 EDT 2006

Bryan Olson wrote:

> Not quite. The first slash is ambiguous and apparently ignored,
> but latter slashes are taken as a path separators.

I'm not sure ambiguity enters into it. I think perhaps the bad detection of
the option happens because the CD command can ignore spaces in its
argument. Since it is ignoring spaces they don't actually require a space
after the option strings.

Any other Microsoft commands I try all complain about 'invalid switch'.

> Have you determined why it didn't work on your XP box as it did
> on mine and on the machines at BestBuy?

Simply that I hadn't changed to the root directory first so there was no
subdirectory named 'windows'.