Windows vs. Linux

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Fri Aug 4 05:32:45 EDT 2006

Duncan Booth wrote:
> Bryan Olson wrote:
>
>> Not quite. The first slash is ambiguous and apparently ignored,
>> but latter slashes are taken as a path separators.
>
> I'm not sure ambiguity enters into it. I think perhaps the bad detection of
> the option happens because the CD command can ignore spaces in its
> argument. Since it is ignoring spaces they don't actually require a space
> after the option strings.

You lost me. Spaces are significant in file names, and slashes
within the path are used as path separators, as far as I can
tell.

Try cd'ing several subdirectories deep on XP with forward
slashes. It works for me, and it could not if slashes were
ignored as you suggested.

> Any other Microsoft commands I try all complain about 'invalid switch'.

The first I noticed were their build tools. Their version of
"make", called "nmake", and their visual studio tools will
accept either forward or backward slashes in paths.

>> Have you determined why it didn't work on your XP box as it did
>> on mine and on the machines at BestBuy?
>
> Simply that I hadn't changed to the root directory first so there was no
> subdirectory named 'windows'.

Ah, my example showed a particular root: "C:\". Does your system
work the same if you set the current directly as shown?

--
--Bryan