https on ActiveState Python 2.4?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Aug 22 14:44:39 EDT 2006

Jack wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I found some openSSL patches for earlier versions of ActiveState Python.
> It involves .pyd files and they look for earlier versions of Python DLLs and
> don't run on ActiveState Python 2.4. I suspect the regular Python solution would
> have the same problem or even more problems because it's not a pure .py
> patch.

huh?  the "regular Python solution" ships with a perfectly working SSL
library (in DLLs/_ssl.pyd), which look for the appropriate version of
the Python DLL:

 > dumpbin /imports "\python24\DLLs\_ssl.pyd"
Microsoft (R) COFF Binary File Dumper Version 6.00.8168
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1992-1998. All rights reserved.

Dump of file \python24\DLLs\_ssl.pyd

File Type: DLL

   Section contains the following imports:

     WSOCK32.dll
     python24.dll

(what's the point in using ActiveState's crippled distribution if you
need stuff that's shipped with the standard distro, btw?  why not just
use the standard version, and install win32all on top of that?)

</F>