Modules... paths... newbie confusion

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.de
Mon Aug 21 10:36:50 EDT 2006

MrBlueSky schrieb:
> I wonder if someone could clarify how Python "knows" where modules are
> - or at least point to some documentation that might help me?  Here's
> what I've been trying:
>
> I've installed Python 2.4 Windows, and have also installed tkinter,
> pmw, cx_Oracle, mssql and pytz (phew!) all under my c:\python24 folder.
>
> But when I try to "import pytz" or "import MSSQL" in a Python shell
> (via IDLE) it's not recognised - yet "import Tkinter", "import Pmw" and
> "import cx_Oracle" all work.

Normally extensions should go into a subdirectory of
c:\python24\Lib\site-packages. Everything that comes with a windows
installer usually installs itself exactly there. In those cases no
messing about with PYTHONPATH or sys.path should be necessary.

HTH
Koczian

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek, Abt. Naturwiss.