Truly platform-independent DB access in Python?

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Mon Aug 28 11:50:58 EDT 2006

Boris Dušek wrote:
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>> bobrik wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using the Python DB API for access to MySQL. But it is not
>>> platform-independent
>> It is. You don't have to change your Python code according to the OS or
>> CPU.
>>
> What I mean is that wiht platform-independent access, I should be able
> to not care on which operating system is the web server accessing my
> scripts where I use MySQLdb

When it comes to *using* MySQLdb, you don't care about the OS, CPU and
whatnot.

> which I have to install (and therfore
> platform-dependently) compile myself.

This is a very distinct problem.

> The important point is that
> MySQLdb is installed as an extra module. So you have to compile it
> manually,

Usually, cd <src-dir> && python setup.py install do the job.

> but what if the OS with server accessing the site that is on
> shared area changes?

And what if Python is not installed on it ?-)

Seriously, do you think that hosting companies swap OS very often ?

--
bruno desthuilliers