Compiling wxPython app for Windows; Single EXE

GHUM haraldarminmassa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 09:46:30 EDT 2006

Daniel,

I am using py2exe since more then 4 years, so I am rather biased.

I read PyInstaller page and was positively impressed by the manual and
all the good words.
There is one major difference which will keep me with py2exe:

with PyInstaller and single file there is:
"When first started, it finds that it needs to extract these files
before it can run "for real"."

and with py2exe:
Changes in 0.6.1:

    * py2exe can now bundle binary extensions and dlls into the
      library-archive or the executable itself.  This allows to
      finally build real single-file executables.

      The bundled dlls and pyds are loaded at runtime by some special
      code that emulates the Windows LoadLibrary function - they are
      never unpacked to the file system.

this "they are never unpacked to the file system" is the USP of py2exe
to me at the moment.

What is less then optimal with both packages, is that MSVCR71.DLL needs
to be distributed separately :(

Harald