Compiling wxPython app for Windows; Single EXE

ajaksu ajaksu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 12:39:02 EDT 2006

Vincent Delporte wrote:
> - py2exe is still the best tool in town to compile Python scripts to
> run on a Windows host that doesn't have Python installed, including
> wxWidgets/wxPython

Hi Vincent and c.l.p-ers

I'm using PyInstaller (http://pyinstaller.hpcf.upr.edu/) precisely to
"compile" a wxPython-based program. So I'm curious about what makes
py2exe "the best tool...", because I'm about to miss that due to my
ignorance. I learned PyInstaller for something else and laziness kept
me from trying py2exe. Now, the blurb on py2exe's site doesn't sound
better than what I have with PyInstaller.

FWIW, PyInstaller  (NB: it's an exe-maker, not an installer) can
compress your binaries using UPX, create single file executables and
works cross-platforms too. It'll even include w9xpopen.exe and allow
custom icons for the executable. It doesn't need setup.py. My
"buildtest.bat" is:

python Makespec.py -X -F -o ecoz ecotools.py grid.py similarity.py
diversity.py
python -O Build.py ecoz\ecotools.spec >> pyinstaller_log.txt
ecoz\ecotools.exe test

I've notice that application start time (or rather, 're-start', as it's
more noticeable for the subsequent runs) is much better for the "single
directory" method, because single file will always decompress to a
temporary directory.

All the best,
Daniel