using python at the bash shell?

Tue Aug 8 11:51:17 EDT 2006

Thomas Bartkus wrote:

> I am just validating your experience by saying that coming from Python is a
> barrier to my learning BASH.  The more I work with Linux/BASH, the more I
> see how I might have used BASH to script something I have already done in
> Python.  But the question that always comes up is why bother with BASH at
> all ;-) And with Python available everywhere, ....
>
> I've just reconsiled to pick up my BASH by osmosis and concentrate on
> (much!) cleaner scripting with Python.

Glad to know I'm not alone! But I'm certainly much happier using Python
than bash anyway. All I really want to learn as far as the shell is
concerned are the 'natural' things you can do, such as directory/file
manipulation, installing programs, etc. I don't have much of a need to
learn the actual programming parts of the bash language, especially when
I can do the same with Python, which is so much cooler. :)