using python at the bash shell?

Thomas Bartkus thomasbartkus at comcast.net
Tue Aug 8 11:33:43 EDT 2006

"John Salerno" <johnjsal at NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:44d7e364$0$24980$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com...
> Hi all. I just installed Ubuntu and I'm learning how to use the bash
> shell. Aside from the normal commands you can use, I was wondering if
> it's possible to use Python from the terminal instead of the normal bash
> commands (e.g. print instead of echo). My main reason for asking is that
> I like using Python for everything, and if I don't need to learn the
> bash 'language', then I won't just yet.

The answer is yes and you are getting excellent tips from others.

I am just validating your experience by saying that coming from Python is a
barrier to my learning BASH.  The more I work with Linux/BASH, the more I
see how I might have used BASH to script something I have already done in
Python.  But the question that always comes up is why bother with BASH at
all ;-) And with Python available everywhere, ....

I've just reconsiled to pick up my BASH by osmosis and concentrate on
(much!) cleaner scripting with Python.

Thomas Bartkus