a question about my script

alper soyler alpersoyler at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 02:55:59 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to get some files from an ftp site by ftplib module and I wrote the below script. However I have a problem. With my script, I login to ftp.genome.jp site. then, I am changing the directory to pub/kegg/genomes/afm and I am downloading "a.fumigatus.pep" file. However, what I want is to connect pub/kegg/genomes directory and in this directory there are 3 letters name files e.g. 'afm' and in each of these 3 letters files there is a file with the extension of '.pep' like a.fumigatus.pep. I want to get these '.pep' files from the 3 letter named files. If you help me I will be very glad. Thanks you in advance.

Regards,
Alper

from ftplib import FTP

def handleDownload( block):
    file.write(block)
    print ".",

ftp = FTP('ftp.genome. jp')

print ftp.login()

directory = 'pub/kegg/genomes/ afm'

print 'Changing to ' + directory
ftp.cwd(directory)

ftp.retrlines( 'LIST')

filename = 'a.fumigatus. pep'

print 'Opening local file ' + filename
file = open(filename, 'wb')

print 'Getting ' + filename
ftp.retrbinary( 'RETR ' + filename, handleDownload)

print 'Closing file ' + filename
file.close()

print 'Closing FTP connection'
print ftp.close()