Using Python for my web site

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Thu Aug 3 00:22:35 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 23:13 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> Thanks, that's one of the conclusions to which I also came. That final
> question was missing, even though I felt it was implied. I really had no
> clue that this is such a touchy subject.

Every opinion in technology seems to be touchy for someone ;-)

> Another one is that it seems (here I go again :) that there is something
> like a marriage between Python and PostgreSQL (or in other words, that
> Python fans that develop web apps have a tendency to favor PostgreSQL). Is
> there something like this? (Here is the question :)

I don't think so.  If I had to venture an opinion, my impression has
been that the MySQL/PostgreSQL division lies more along the line between
web applications and other types of apps.  For some reason, web people
seem to either prefer MySQL or (more likely) fall back to it as a
default.  If there's a bias toward PostgreSQL in the Python crowd, I
suspect that's due to the fact that Python's presence seems to be more
weighted toward non-web programming relative to other languages (this
being due to Python's general applicability, not an implication Python
isn't suited for the web).

Regards,
Cliff