hide python code !

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 11 20:29:57 EDT 2006

"Fuzzyman" <fuzzyman at gmail.com> writes:

> Paul Boddie wrote:
> > Well, given the pace of technological development and the
> > disregard in some environments for perpetual backward
> > compatibility, how much of your infrastructure would you implement
> > in vendor-supplied binaries, especially when the vendor is a one
> > man plus dog operation?
>
> The question keeps getting asked because a lot of new programmers are
> looking to create programs that they will sell.

"Sell the software" is in no way dependent on "hide the source code":
businesses across the globe sell software that doesn't have the source
code hidden, often *with* source code.

Indeed, as Paul Boddie points out, hiding the source code from one's
customers, and refusing them permission to take the software to
someone else to improve it, is increasingly becoming a way to *reduce*
the willingness of people to buy one's software.

All this seems worth pointing out to any new programmers whom you
posit are looking to create programs that they will sell.

--
 \       "I always wanted to be somebody. I see now that I should have |
  `\                              been more specific."  -- Lily Tomlin |