hide python code !

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 11 20:43:13 EDT 2006

"Fuzzyman" <fuzzyman at gmail.com> writes:

> Terry Reedy wrote:
> > Let's clarify the question: "Dear Python programmers: please tell
> > me for free how I can hide my code from you and others like you."
>
> And categorising their intent in this way

I don't see how this categorises intent at all. It's clarifying what
the question means.

"Dear Python programmers" -- the message was to comp.lang.python.

"please tell me for free" -- they have asked a question, and clearly
expect an answer without further remuneration requirements or other
payment.

"how I can hide my code" -- this is exactly what they've asked.

The only thing I can see in there you might object to is the "you and
others like you". Here, "you" is "Python programmers". By hiding the
source code to their programs, they will hide it from any Python
programmers.

Any one of their customers may want improvements to the program that
they (the author) may not be motivated to work on, for whatever
reason. No shame in that -- and no categorisation of intent.

The customer can then ask any other Python programmer to make the
improvements, offering whatever consideration is agreeable to both
parties. If the source code is hidden, its *hidden from the Python
programmer* and others like them.

Nowhere in this has intent of the author been categorised. It makes
clear some of the consequences of the proposed course of action.

--
 \          "I used to be a narrator for bad mimes."  -- Steven Wright |
Ben Finney