How ahead are you guys in the (Python) real world?

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 05:17:06 EDT 2006

Ray wrote:
> Since I haven't used Python at work, I am using Python 2.5 right now.
> However I wonder, how fast are you guys moving from version to version
> at work? As an illustration my ex-company just moved to Java 5, which
> was released around... what, 2-3 years ago? (While I am running Java 6
> at home)
>
> Is it the same in the Python world? What version of Python is used in,
> say, Google? Is it even 2.4 yet?

I'm lucky in that the company I work for are developing with
IronPython. That means I get to use Python 2.4. I'm appreciating the
joy of sets and decorators. :-)

I doubt we will move to 2.5 until that is the standard stable version
of IronPython.

For most of my own projects I try to maintain compatibility with 2.3,
as it is still very common. For CGI stuff I try to remain 2.2
compatible, because that is the default version of Python on many
web-hosts (and Linux distros).

Fuzzyman