Pygame, mouse events and threads

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 05:58:11 EDT 2006

jedi200581 at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Ben Sizer wrote:
> > jedi200581 at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > > When I put the content of the run and input functions in the main
> > > thread, it's working, why not in the thread?
> >
> > Because event handling needs to be done in the main thread. So does
> > rendering. This is a limitation of the underlying system.
> >
> > As a general rule, try to keep all your PyGame functions in the main
> > thread and push your other processing into background threads, if you
> > really need them.
>
> Well, that is a limitation... And is it something that will be fixed or
> something that is inherent to pygame and not fixable?

It's inherent to SDL (the library underpinning PyGame), because it's
apparently inherent to some of the platforms it runs on. Rendering and
event handling is typically tied closely to the notion of a window and
that in turn may well be coupled tightly to a single process or thread.
As Diez said however, this is not generally a big problem. Most games
are typically single-threaded anyway.

--
Ben Sizer