What would be the best way to run python client in the background

gel geli at tasmail.com
Tue Aug 15 19:32:39 EDT 2006

Tim Golden wrote:

> [gel]
>
> | I have written a python client server app [...]
> | I want to run the client end of the app more or less invisibly
> | (no console) on the XP clients when ever a users logs on.
>
> You say "when[]ever a user logs on" but does this app
> need to be run on a per-user basis? Or could it run all
> the time -- ie as a Windows Service -- and do enough to
> determine which user is logged on when it needed to?
Yes at the moment the user name is set when the program starts, but it
is no problem to stick that further down program in the loop that
watches processes start and finish.

> The normal way is to run a Win32 service. There are several
> posts on the subject around the Python and Python-Win32
> mailing lists / newsgroups. The alternative is to set something
> to run when any user logs in to run without a window. Again,
> there are posts on the subject, including one I seem to remember
> from Robin Becker, which tell how to do this kind of thing.
Yes running the client as a service seems to be the way to go.  I have
had a bit of a look at the py2exe way of doing it, but have not got my
head around it yet.  What would be your preferred way of creating a
service for an XP client?