What would be the best way to run python client in the background

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 09:40:50 EDT 2006

| > [gel]
| >
| > | I have written a python client server app [...]
| > | I want to run the client end of the app more or less invisibly
| > | (no console) on the XP clients when ever a users logs on.

While this isn't answering the question you first
asked, might I suggest an alternative approach?
Obviously, I'm working from no more than the sketch
you gave of your app and its requirements, but might
it be worth turning the problem on its head, and
using WMI?

Advantages:

1) WMI will -- almost certainly -- already be running on your
target machines. No need to install your own service.

2) WMI has a fair range of mechanisms for determining
what processes are starting, stopping, etc. and for
manipulating them remotely.

3) You can, at least in theory, access any number of machines
from a central server, and with a bit of judicious threading
or looping, you should be able to generate a fair bit of resilience
to machine dropouts etc.

Disadvantages:

1) What you're doing may be far more complex than you've
outlined, requiring a local service per target machine
for other reasons.

2) You may have already invested some amount of time and
effort in developing an app which does what you want.

3) I may have entirely misunderstood what you're trying
to do in any case.

If you're interested and want a code sample, let me know.
If you're not, that's fine.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk