Pros/Cons of Turbogears/Rails?

Jaroslaw Zabiello hipertracker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:25:22 EDT 2006

kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> + SqlObject allows working with the DB tables without
> using SQL itself.

Rails has ActiveRecord ORM, which IMO has nicer and simpler
syntax than SQLObject. Rails has migrations, TB - not (Migrations is
versioning system for evolving database schema)

> + Likely to be faster because as far as I'm aware, Python
> is significantly faster.

Python is maybe faster, but with YARM (which is not stable yet) Ruby
will be about 10x faster. YARM is full virtual machine like Java.

> + Easy access to other libraries (such as the Python
> Imaging Library) that Ruby, being a relatively newer
> language, doesn't have equivalents to.

Ruby is not so young you think. It became more popular
when Rails has appeared.

> + Built-in default SQLite makes it easier to set up?

What? :) YAML is much easier.

> (as far as I can tell, Ruby requires MySql by default--don't
> know how easy this is to change.)

Change in config/database.yml driver: mysql to any you want,
like db2, postgres, sqlserver, sqlite, firebird, oracle etc. You can
change
default settings as well. See:  rails --help

> + I find the templating system somewhat cleaner; code in
> py: xml namespace allows pure .html templates, instead
> of equivalent of .rhtml files.

But rhtml is much more flexible because it can generate *any content*,
not only xml. But Rails has THREE template systems: rhtml (main), rxml
(for rss and xml generation) and rjs (for javascript and AJAX).

And last but not least, TG is based on poor, unstable and buggy
CherryPy server. We had huge problems with CherryPy. I think that
Django or Pylons are much better frameworks. IMO TG is no competition
for Rails at all. The only real competition is Django or Pylons.

--
Jaroslaw Zabiello
http://blog.zabiello.com