hide python code !

danielx danielwong at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 15 22:01:34 EDT 2006

Fuzzyman wrote:
> Bayazee wrote:
> > hi
> > can we hide a python code ?
> > if i want to write a commercial software can i hide my source code from
> > users access ?
> > we can conver it to pyc but this file can decompiled ... so ...!!
> > do you have any idea about this ...?
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> > First Iranian Open Source Community : www.python.ir
>

> You can distribute the compiled byte-code files (*.pyc) which are
> harder to turn back into source code.
>
> There was a product called decompyle which could do it, but although
> there is a version floating around which works for Python 2.4 I've
> never heard of anyone getting it to work.
>
> Import hooks and encrypted source are a good option.
>
> Py2exe embeds the byte-code file for your main script into the
> executable which is also pretty good.
>
> All of these make it hard enough to deter most people who will ever
> want to abuse your source code. Until you have *lots* of users this is
> probably enough.
>
> I never understand the knee-jerk reaction on this mailing list to
> answer people who ask this question by telling them they don't really
> want to do it...

I'm I've compained about this before, but I'd say people apply that
response to alot of other things too here on this mailing list.

***

Earlier in this thread, people were making alot of noise about Bayazee
trying to protect the code while it seemed he was part of an open
source group. He never mentioned that he intended to hide any code
produced for this open source group; indeed, he never mentioned any
code he wished to hide at all. People must have been inferring that if
one is part of an open source group, that all work one produces is for
the group and must therefore be open source. Otherwise, people might
have been thinking that being a member of an open source group makes
you an open source evangelist.

If the latter is true (and these cases are neither mutually exclusive
nor exhaustive), then those who were so vocal in pointing out the
"appearant discrepency" must have been projecting their own views on
Bayazee. I'm not sure if this needs to be said, but just because
someone posts on comp.lang.python does not mean he or she believe (or
even should believe) the same things as you!

My last statement applies to a few other things I've read around here,
but I'm going to be done for now...