Truly platform-independent DB access in Python?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Aug 28 11:49:41 EDT 2006

> Yes, you excactly got my point. The thing is that I can't rely on
> Python 2.5 to be installed soon.
> So the only solution for me at this moment is to use jython and from
> there use Java JDBC API (sorry :-) But it would be great if the Python
> DB API compliant-modules would become parts of core python quickly.
> Python DB API itself is a great thing.

They won't be. The reason that sqlite is is because it is self-contained.
But your average DB itself you need to install using a platform-specific
build. And building the the extensions even requires proprietary libraries
installed (think of oracle) - so without having installed a dozen or more
DBs, no one could build python!

So - no chance that this will ever happen. The only thing you could do is to
try and convince the DB-vendors to provide pure python DB drivers - as they
do it for java.

Diez