Using Python for my web site

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Tue Aug 1 00:12:37 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 21:57 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> On 2006-07-31 18:23:17, Cliff Wells wrote:
>
> > My point is to stop FUD right at that comment.  I don't doubt your
> > research from "a few years ago", but ancient research is entirely
> > irrelevant for making a decision *today*.
>
> That's exactly the reason why I added this information. It might not be for
> you, but it is interesting for me (and might be for someone else) to see
> that I get a different feedback now than I got a few years ago. It tells
> something about the dynamic of the process that the mere status of today
> doesn't tell.

Well, perhaps I misunderstood your intent.  Sorry if I was short.

> Besides, "claimed to have" and "seemed to have" are not really FUD inducing
> terms :)

Taken in a vacuum, they can certainly add to an overall negative
impression.  PostgreSQL, in the past, has certainly had some hurdles
that made it a suboptimal choice for many people: performance and
difficulty in installation and management, among other things (I've
personally not had stability issues), lack of a native Win32 version,
etc, have made it the runner up in deployment to MySQL.
Today, that's all changed.  PostgreSQL is comparable in performance to
MySQL (although I expect each outperforms the other in certain areas),
*easier* to install and maintain than MySQL, and its stability is
outstanding.  Release 8 also saw a native Windows version. For many
reasons, MySQL seems to be on the reverse track, sacrificing
performance, stability and ease of use in an attempt to catch up to
PostgreSQL in features.
Nevertheless, there remains rumors and myths that stem from those old
days that cause many people to fear deploying PostgreSQL.  This is part
of the reason I'm always quick to jump on statements such as yours.  I
feel it's a disservice to the community to let those myths continue and
perhaps dissuade others from discovering what is today *the* premier
FOSS relational database.

> Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your experience (which in that area
> certainly is more than mine).

I'm glad I was able to add to the pool of knowledge (or at least the mud
puddle of anecdote).

Cliff