Pros/Cons of Turbogears/Rails?

Jaroslaw Zabiello hipertracker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 12:43:47 EDT 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:42:47 -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote:

> TG supports SQL Alchemy as well.  With SQL Alchemy I believe you'll have a
> better experience than with Rails' ORM.

I would not be so sure. I have tried to work with SQL Alchemy (using
Pylons) and I have been disappointed. :( It's syntax for selects is ugly
and not intuitive. Django ORM looks much better. SQLAlchemy has to be added
to Django as alternative ORM but *without breaking* current, clean API:
http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/5149e1c60dc65bff/a177bb34cfde1ec7

>> But rhtml is much more flexible because it can generate *any content*,
>> not only xml. But Rails has THREE template systems: rhtml (main), rxml
>> (for rss and xml generation) and rjs (for javascript and AJAX).
>
> Well, TG has a few templating systems...  MarkUp, Kid, Cheetah, ZPT, and
> others.  You can choose the one that best fits your needs / brain.

This is another topic. Rails can also use another third-party template
system (like Liquid which was inspired by Django). For me using many,
different template systems *for the same task* make no sense. Rails uses
three templates, but for *different tasks*. Its RJS is perfect for AJAX.
Really cool, simple, and almost no javascript is required. Just clean Ruby
for everything.

--
Jarosław Zabiełło
http://blog.zabiello.com