Best IDE for Python

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Aug 14 05:18:56 EDT 2006

stylecomputers at gmail.com writes:

> Hi All, What do you find the best IDE for creating web applications
> in Python is? Preferably FOS IDE.

I don't know what a "FOS IDE" is, but my preferred free software
development environment for making web applications is:

  - GNU screen <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/>

  - Powerful editor; lately I prefer Emacs with python-mode
    <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>
    <URL:http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PythonMode>

  - Standards-compliant browser, such as Firefox; the web developer
    toolbar extension is a must.
    <URL:http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/>
    <URL:http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/>

Separate 'screen' windows for:

  - VCS interaction
  - Continuous unit test running
  - Emacs session
  - Python interactive session

Many of the above could be in Emacs windows instead, but I already
know how to work 'screen'. The wonderful part about using 'screen' as
my IDE is that any of the tools can be interchanged as I like.

--
 \          "The WWW is exciting because Microsoft doesn't own it, and |
  `\              therefore, there's a tremendous amount of innovation |