Best IDE for Python

yogamatt1970 at gmail.com yogamatt1970 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 10:33:42 EDT 2006

stylecomputers at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All, What do you find the best IDE for creating web applications in
> Python is? Preferably FOS IDE.
>
> Cheers

I like ActiveState's Komodo.  It's heavyweight and not free ($30 for
the personal edition) but it also supports Perl, Ruby, PHP and TCL.  I
started using it mostly on Windows but I've used it on Linux more
recently (and it runs on Solaris and OSX now too).
It has all the bells and whistles and probably won't appeal too much to
hardcore emacs/vim people because it is so GUI oriented and nowhere
near as fast.  Also, it's text editor is similar to the ones you get
with other popular IDE's like MS DevStudio and Eclipse i.e. not very
powerful.
I've used it extensively with Python and it handles whitespace
indentation beautifully.  I like that it also supports Perl because I
use Perl quite a bit too.
That being said, I'm going to give Wing IDE a try at some point soon.