minidom + wxPython woes

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Sat Apr 8 09:46:32 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Frank Millman wrote:
>
> > This sounds similar to a problem I reported a few months ago. This is
> > the link.
> >
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/6fc1097d26083e43/5fbdf493f3c38942?q=&rnum=1&hl=en#5fbdf493f3c38942
> >
> > In my case, it turned out to be a bug in the pyexpat module - it is
> > known about, but for some reason difficult to fix, so it is still
> > there.
>
> no, it's not a bug in the pyexpat module -- the problem is that
> wxPython uses it's own incompatible version of the expat library,
> and loads it in a way that causes problems for any library that's
> tries to use its own statically linked version.
>
> see MvL's comments in the sourceforge tracker for more info.
>
> </F>

I had a look at the sourceforge tracker. I did not understand much of
it - rather too technical for me. There are two points worth noting.

Firstly, it seems from various posts to the tracker item that the same
problem has been reported with pygtk, Qt, and VTK.

Secondly, in tracker item 1295808 (which, according to the notes, is
actually the same bug), there is talk of submitting a patch in 2.5 to
address the issue.

It seems to me (FWIW - as I said, I do not really understand much of
what I read) that it may not technically be a bug in pyexpat, but there
is a real issue there, and the decision has been taken to make a change
to pyexpat so that the problem will not arise in the future.

Frank