minidom + wxPython woes

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Sat Apr 8 02:16:56 EDT 2006

Lonnie Princehouse wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting a seg fault when I try to use minidom to parse some XML
> inside a wxPython app.
>
> I was wondering if someone else could run the simple code below on
> Linux and, if it doesn't crash horribly, post which versions of
> (Python, wxPython) they are using?  I can't find other messages related
> to this, so I suspect it is something broken with my installation.
> I'm using Python 2.4.2 and wx 2.6.1.0.
>
> Incidentally, writing XML with minidom works fine, and this is all
> happening in wxPython's main thread.
>

> import wx
> from xml.dom import minidom
>
> app = wx.PySimpleApp()
> frame = wx.Frame(None, -1, "Hello World")
> frame.Show(True)
> button = wx.Button(frame, -1, "Click me")
>
> testxml = 'xml version="1.0" ?><foo></foo>'
>
> def click(event):
>     doc = minidom.parseString(testxml) # seg fault?!
>     print "Success!"
>
> frame.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, click, button)
>
> app.MainLoop()

This sounds similar to a problem I reported a few months ago. This is
the link.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/6fc1097d26083e43/5fbdf493f3c38942?q=&rnum=1&hl=en#5fbdf493f3c38942

In my case, it turned out to be a bug in the pyexpat module - it is
known about, but for some reason difficult to fix, so it is still
there.

I found a workaround, which is documented in the above thread.

HTH

Frank Millman