Help for a complete newbie

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Apr 14 22:25:02 EDT 2006

On 15/04/2006 12:04 PM, Ralph H. Stoos Jr. wrote:
> All,
>
> I am reading a Python tutorial for complete non-programmers.

Would you mind providing a URL for the tutorial? It's vaguely possible
that we may be able to recommend a slightly better tutorial :-)

> The code below is so simple as to be insulting but the assignment of the
> "ready" variable gives a syntax error.
>
> The code reads letter-for-letter like the tutorial states.

Maybe it's not character-by-character :-)

> Here is a dump.  Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

> print " "
> print "This \"autotp\" program will create raw bitmap test pattern images."
[snip]
> print "EXAMPLE: Bypass_BFM_Damage_1200x1200_Letter.tif"
> print " "
>
> # Get the decision if operator is ready
>     ready = raw_input("Ready to proceed ? TYPE (y)es or (n)o: ")

Problem is that the above line is indented relative to the previous
material line (the one with a bare "print" statement). Remove the indent
from here on, or indent all that print cruft.