Help for a complete newbie

Ralph H. Stoos Jr. rstoos at rochester.rr.com
Fri Apr 14 22:04:51 EDT 2006

All,

I am reading a Python tutorial for complete non-programmers.

The code below is so simple as to be insulting but the assignment of the
"ready" variable gives a syntax error.

The code reads letter-for-letter like the tutorial states.

Here is a dump.  Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

print " "
print "This \"autotp\" program will create raw bitmap test pattern images."
print " "
print "Please read the information below thoroughly:"
print " "
print "1. Graphic files MUST be TIFF images."
print "2. Images MUST have been ripped though a Nuvera system as a Print
and Save job"
print "3. Images should already be named with the desired file name."
print "4. The Lead Edge and file name should be identified in the image."
print "5. The name includes the purpose for, resolution of, side, and
paper size"
print "6. Images should be rotated to print correctly from Service
Diagnostics."
print " "
print "EXAMPLE: Bypass_BFM_Damage_1200x1200_Letter.tif"
print " "

# Get the decision if operator is ready
	ready = raw_input("Ready to proceed ? TYPE (y)es or (n)o: ")

	if ready  == "y":
		print "You are Ready"
	else:
		print "Try again"

OUTPUT from execution

  File "autotp.py", line 21
     ready = raw_input("Ready to proceed ? TYPE (y)es or (n)o: ")
     ^

Please respond to the group and to:  rstoos at rochester.rr.com

Thanks,

Ralph