Building a Dynamic Library (libpython.so) for Python 2.4.3 Final

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Wed Apr 26 07:39:26 EDT 2006

Dean wrote:
> I've been trying to make python a dynamic library. I downloaded Python
> 2.4.3 Final from the Python web site and I cannot get it to create the
> library.
>
> I've tried using the directive:
>
> --enable-shared
>
> and
>
> --enable-shared=yes
>
> and both of them had the same effect of creating a bunch of parts of
> the python interpreter in .so format but not in creating a single
> libpython2.4.so.X.Y file. I could probably hack something together
> using ar but I would prefer to do it "correctly" by setting some
> options. I'm compiling under OpenBSD 3.5.

Well, I just confirmed that

./configure --enable-shared

results in a libpython2.4.so.1 (and a libpython2.4.so) on FreeBSD 4.x.
The result runs the regression test suite without significant problems
(the test box didn't have a 2.4 installation).

A quick look at the configure script suggests that --enable-shared should
work on OpenBSD.  While I believe that there's actually an OpenBSD based
Python buildbot (though OpenBSD 3.[89] I think) running, I doubt that
this configuration is tested there.

If you don't get any other responses, send me a copy of the full make log
(ie "make >make.log 2>&1") and I'll compare it to the log from my test
build.