Building a Dynamic Library (libpython.so) for Python 2.4.3 Final

Dean notme at bogus.example.com
Tue Apr 25 21:16:46 EDT 2006

I've been trying to make python a dynamic library. I downloaded Python
2.4.3 Final from the Python web site and I cannot get it to create the
library.

I've tried using the directive:

--enable-shared

and

--enable-shared=yes

and both of them had the same effect of creating a bunch of parts of
the python interpreter in .so format but not in creating a single
libpython2.4.so.X.Y file. I could probably hack something together
using ar but I would prefer to do it "correctly" by setting some
options. I'm compiling under OpenBSD 3.5.

Thanks for any advice.