Thanks from the Java Developer

Edward Elliott nobody at 127.0.0.1
Thu Apr 20 18:47:38 EDT 2006

I know this isn't comp.lang.java but I can't resist...

Jarek Zgoda wrote:
 > Going from Python to Java (as it's in my case) is real pain I wish
 > nobody to feel... Even with multi-million support for Java from giants
 > like Sun, IBM or Oracle, I find it much easier to gain full control over
 > my project when using Python than Java.

Funny, I felt the same way going from C to Java.  I certainly didn't miss
the low-level futzing, null pointer problems, assignment in conditions,
etc.  But I constantly felt like the Java libraries and especially the
compiler were obstacles in my way, designed to thwart my efforts at simple,
concise code (yes javac, I *know* that variable is uninitialized.  I *want*
it to be null at first.  what do you mean, I have to assign "= null" at
declaration?  that's what all (non-primitive) variables default to anyway!
  wait, you're giving me a compile *error*, not a *warning*?  are you
retarded or just evil?!).

Maybe it's better now, that was back in the 1.1 days.  I dunno, I'm never
going back again.

Anyway, I posit the class of languages you can migrate to Java from and
*not* feel hamstrung is vanishingly small.  Certainly none I've ever used.
  ADA?  Cobol?

And, um, Python rocks!  There we go, back on-topic.