Thanks from the Java Developer

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 00:24:16 EDT 2006

Ant <antroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Python ruined my life.
>
> I am a Java programmer by profession, and ever since learning Python, I
> find it a real chore to open Eclipse and write Java code (or worse -
> the XML config files that seem to glue J2EE together). And while I
> spend some of my spare time liberated by Python, I spend 10 times as
> much time coding in Java at work.

So switch jobs -- it's a good time.  I did it at a very BAD time, right
at the dotcom crash time, from a safe rewarding job as a senior
developer doing mostly C++, to a scary risky freelance job doing mostly
Python... and my quality of life became MUCH better.  Now I'm an
employee again, and even happier -- I work for Google, where Python, C++
and Java are all primary technologies, and every day's a joy.

At least in the Bay Area, the jobmarket for Python programmers is wild,
right now -- firms such as Google, Pixar, BitTorrent, IronPort, etc,
etc, all hungry for Pythonistas -- BayPIGgies mailing list bitching over
too many job-offer posts, and the nuisance of all those recruiters
haunting our monthly meetings and how much time they take, ...!!!

Alex