multiline comments

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Apr 20 08:57:14 EDT 2006

"OKB (not okblacke)" <brenNOSPAMbarn at NObrenSPAMbarn.net> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > If your revision control system is so inconvenient to use that
> > you'd rather have large blocks of commented-out code, it's time to
> > start using a better RCS -- perhaps a distributed one, so you can
> > commit to your own local repository with abandon while trying out
> > changes.
>
>     	I don't buy this kind of argument.  It seems strange to say
> that the language is designed a certain way because users are
> expected to use certain kinds of third-party tools to manage their
> code.

You're reading a causal relationship where none was asserted.

>  What if I'm just putting together a little script to do something
> and I don't want to mess with a revision control system?

If it's so little, why are single-line comments not enough?

If it's large enough that large blocks of code need changing
frequently, I assert revision control is needed.

The barriers to using a good revision control system are so low these
days it's poor practice to avoid using one for anything but throw-away
programs.

--
 \     "The illiterate of the future will not be the person who cannot |
  `\     read. It will be the person who does not know how to learn."  |