MinGW and Python

Edward Elliott nobody at 127.0.0.1
Tue Apr 25 12:52:36 EDT 2006

Brian Elmegaard wrote:
> "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
>> You can build the entire Python interpreter with Cygwin (but you
>> don't need to, because there is a precompiled version), and you can
>> build extensions for the python.org binary using MingW.
>
> Great, then I tend to agree that there is no reason for building it
> with mingw.

wouldn't the gcc/cygwin build of python rely on the cygwin dll?  cygwin
implements the standard unix system calls on top of the windows platform.
iirc, some operations run much slower through cygwin than native windows
calls (file and terminal i/o come to mind).

if so, i do see good reason to build with mingw instead of gcc/cygwin.