New Karrigel page in Wikipedia

Tim Williams (gmail) tdwdotnet at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 11:28:48 EDT 2006

On 13/04/06, Roel Schroeven <rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Tim Williams (gmail) schreef:
>
> > Karrigell will happily run multiple karrigell "applications" on a single
> > server .  In your example simply by having different applications at
> > http://foo.example.com/app1 and http://foo.example.com/app2 will do the
> > trick.
>
> But I still need to allocate a port for each one, right? And write
> rewrite rules to rewrite the urls:
>   http://foo.example.com/app1 -> http://foo.example.com:port1
>    http://foo.example.com/app2 -> http://foo.example.com:port2

:)    No

it is a common misconception that you need seperate ports on a webserver for
different "applications" and / or sites

Generally (ie not karrigell specific),   for *your* example  you can run
them all on the same port - as http://foo.example.com/app1 and
http://foo.example.com/app2

Generally (ie not karrigell specific), even if you are using different
hostnames in the URLs ie  http://www.mydom1.com and
http://www.mydom2.comyou still don't need different ports,  just use
virtual-host (or
Host-Headers in IIS ) mappings.

In Karrigell you could write the host mappings into a karrigell script (.ks)
application, so you wouldn't  even need to use virtual-hosts in the config
file.  and of course, you could just write a single .ks  that contains (at
least the entry points to ) all your applications

HTH :)