mini component distribution question

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Apr 19 18:17:01 EDT 2006

as one would expect when creating a body of software, eventually you
create a series of relatively generic components you find yourself using
over and over again.  As a result, I'm finding myself slightly bit by
the same problem I have faced multiple times of the past.  Namely, how
do you distribute "small" components that are used in a series of larger
applications.

Yes, I could turn each 300 line file into a Python module complete with
its own source code control and installation framework.  Seems like a
bit of overkill however.  I also know I could cluster them together into
a larger module but I would end up with something as unwieldy as twisted
or zope.  I'm just trying to make a couple of nuts and bolts available,
not a whole railcar full.

Then there's the assembly problem, pulling together all of the disparate
pieces into the application for distribution.  Do you pull them together
before you make a tar ball or do you pull them together during
installation ala cpan.  there really should be some automated method for
pulling together components when building an application.  how many
components is it reasonable to expect an admin to manually download?
Two?  Five?  100?

I'd like to know if I'm missing something.  Mini modules management and
distribution should be possible without too much headache.

--- eric