mini component distribution question

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Apr 19 18:38:04 EDT 2006

"Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org> writes:

> as one would expect when creating a body of software, eventually you
> create a series of relatively generic components you find yourself using
> over and over again.  As a result, I'm finding myself slightly bit by
> the same problem I have faced multiple times of the past.  Namely, how
> do you distribute "small" components that are used in a series of larger
> applications.

The developing wisdom is to:

  - bundle up reusable discrete functional components as Python eggs

    <URL:http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools>

  - publish them on the Cheeseshop

    <URL:http://cheeseshop.python.org/>

  - use easy_install to automatically download and install them when
    the main package is installed

    <URL:http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#distributing-a-setuptools-based-project>

--
 \       "Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."  -- Donald |
  `\                                              Robert Perry Marquis |